Cheeseburger Pie RecipeBy burrger • Dec 13th, 2007 • Category: Burger Recipes
This Cheeseburger Pie Recipe is an all America creation, particularly popular in the southern states. It more or less has the same ingredients as a typical cheeseburger apart from the addition of the short crust pastry that makes it a pie.
For the crust:
- Ready Made Shortcrust Pastry Mix
- or you could make your own
For the filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 6 to 8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pizza or pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- This is an open pie with crust at the bottom and sides and the top is made up of the melted cheese.
- First of all prepare enough of the ready made short crust pastry mixture to roll out a circle 5mm thick and 12 inches in diameter.
- You will need a circular pie plate/baking dish that is roughly 9 inches in diameter. Lightly grease the inside of the pie plate using butter or oil and gently line it with the pastry. The pastry should fit snugly into the pie plate and reach all the way to the rim.
- Now, to prepare the filling. Mix the diced onion, salt and pepper into the ground beef then brown the mixture in a large pan/skillet. Make sure the meat is fully cooked, his should take about 10 minutes. You can also add your own flavorings here too such as hot sauce, garlic, spices or chopped jalapeños.
- Once the meat mixture is cooked drain off any excess fat and place it into a large bowl. Add the eggs, milk, half of the cheese and oregano. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pie dish and cook in a pre-heated oven at 325°F (170°C) for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven then spread the pizza sauce evenly over the top and cook in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and melt. Cut the pie into wedges and you’re done.