Datil & Onion Relish RecipeBy burrger • Dec 12th, 2007 • Category: Burger Recipes
This Datil & Onion Relish Recipe uses the Datil pepper that grows in Florida and has a unique fruity taste while being very hot.
- 1/2 cup datil peppers
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 gallon of catsup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- The datil peppers, bell pepper and onion should be chopped to a fine or medium dice of equal size. Combine the catsup, sugars, vinegar and salt in a large heavy pot or skillet. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the garlic, datil peppers, bell pepper and onion to the mixture. Bring the pot to the boil making sure you mix it well. Then simmer gently for around 1 hour or until the mixture looks well cooked through.
- Transfer into hot, sterile jars and store.