Green Tomato Relish RecipeBy burrger • Dec 12th, 2007 • Category: Burger Recipes
This Green Tomato Relish Recipe makes full use of the tangy taste of green tomatoes and has a flavor boost from jalapeño peppers. It also has lots of cilantro and garlic that gives this green tomato relish recipe a unique taste.
- 2 pound green tomatoes, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 pound onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound cooking apples (like Granny Smith), chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet combine the green tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, apples, garlic, cider vinegar and salt. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer until it thickens, stirring occasionally. This should take about 1 hour.
- Now add the jalapeño peppers, cilantro and cumin and simmer for another 5 or so minutes. Allow the relish to cool then use a food processor to puree it until its slightly chunky.
- Store in a refrigerator and your green tomato relish is ready to serve.