Green Tomato Chili Sauce RecipeBy burrger • Dec 12th, 2007 • Category: Burger Recipes
Green tomatoes are perfect for chili sauces, this Green Tomato chili sauce recipe is very mild and suitable for everyday use.
- 12 large green tomatoes, peeled
- 8 small hot peppers, finely chopped
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves, ground
- salt to taste
- Throw the chopped tomatoes into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add the chopped hot peppers, bell peppers and onion and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the sugar and vinegar and bring to a simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Throw in the rest of the spices and simmer gently for a couple of hours until it thickens.