Vidalia Onion Relish RecipeBy burrger • Dec 12th, 2007 • Category: Burger Recipes
This Vidalia Onion Relish recipe is inspired by Paula Deen who has created a lot of recipes using Vidalia Onions in her latest book. This recipe makes full use of the natural sweet taste of Vidalia Onions – thanks to Paula Deen.
- 2 pounds large Vidalia Onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Its best to use a heavy bottomed skillet or Dutch Oven for this recipe. Melt the butter in the Skillet/Dutch Oven and throw in the Vidalia onion, bell pepper and celery stalks.
- Sautee the mixture over a medium heat for around 20 minutes or until everything is tender, be careful not to let the onions brown.
- Now add the vinegar, water, brown sugar, celery seeds and salt. Bring everything to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool then transfer it into jars and refrigerate overnight.